Wednesday, May 28, 2008

September 9, 1580

Azores Islands

As I approach the end of my journey home, I do not know what to expect when I reach Plymouth again. I most certainly hope that Queen Elizabeth I will first give me the title of “Sir.” Boy wouldn’t that be lovely? And I hope the children will study my journey, and learn of the troubles I went through, and I survived great and dangerous battles, and fought through disease, starvation, and thirst. I hope one day they will appreciate my work and learn what it means to stand up for your country, and enjoy the wonders (and dangers) of navigation. But I think the most rewarding thing that will come out of my navigation, will be for the entire world. They can see how to set out on a mission, complete it, and head home ready to share what you have learned. This should be an ongoing process and set a great example for future navigators.

No comments: